Tuesday, May 31, 2016

My Trouble with Enterprise Car Rental: The Funniest Part

Last week I told you the complete story of my trouble with Enterprise Car Rental.

First, an update. On Thursday, I began a series of follow up tweets on Twitter and on Friday morning, Enterprise Customer Service again reached out to me to let me know that they had resubmitted the case. Yes, they do have software to track these kinds of customer service issues and yes they do have a system to escalate those cases, but as of yet, I've only been contacted by the Twitter-monitoring branch of their customer service organization.

While I revisiting the story, certain parts seemed to me to be particularly funny.
  1. The subject of the dispute. This is not a dispute over damage to the vehicle. It's not about how much gas was in the tank. This issue came about after I dropped the car off at one of their locations with more than the needed level of fuel, and they didn't credit that drop-off until over a day and a half later. That is more like an internal  business process error on their part. And yet, they put the customer on the hook for their internal process.
  2. This whole thing issue revolves around $30. Nearly three weeks prior, I rented a car from Enterprise in a different city for probably over 3X that amount. 
  3. I've been part of Enterprise Car Rental's loyalty program for many years, renting from them almost exclusively for far longer. 
With all of these things, you might expect someone would simply say, "you're right. I'm waving the charges right now and I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this might have caused you." But they haven't.

It goes to show you that you can put a customer service organization in place, you can train your front line employees to be pleasant and friendly, you can pay for service CRM software, you can do customer surveys, everything they tell you to do to deliver better customer service. And yet, whether it's bureaucracy or process or some other reason that something like this -- that should be a joke -- something so inconsequential that it shouldn't have gone on this long, could prove to be such a problem for your customer service processes to handle.

No comments: