Thursday, March 12, 2015

Apple's 99% Customer Satisfaction - I am the 1%

While some may look back at the Occupy Movement and associate the 1% with the extremely wealthy -- the kind that can afford a gold edition Apple Watch without blinking -- the one percent has a number of potential connections. Wikipedia has about 14 different topics linked to the one percent. For me, the one that still resonates most prominently is the one characterized in Hunter S. Thompson's Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga; "99% of motorcyclists were law-abiding citizens, implying that the last one percent were outlaws".

Yesterday, during their big spring announcement, Apple claimed a 99% satisfaction rate for iPhone customers. As I read through a live blog of the event, that stat became one of the most salient points for me. I am the one percent! Or, more correctly, I am a one percenter. I am not satisfied with my iPhone, nor have I been since the interface changes in iOS 7. I used to be satisfied. Elated. Awed. And the ironic part is, I could be again -- my issues are essentially with the software.

Yet another example is the most recent update to iOS 8.2. Apple has added the Apple Watch app. On the list of people not planning to purchase an Apple Watch, me. But now I have the app on my phone. As a bundled part of software, I understand what they're doing, but I much preferred the old way of "this is something I need, so I'll download it."

Perhaps the worst metric of success is the percentage of users running the latest version of the OS. Realisticially, it's a great benchmark against the carrier-deployed Android phones that may be running generations old software, but let's not kid ourselves -- I didn't update my OS because I'm satisfied, I upgraded my OS in hopes of addressing the endlessly evolving security concerns. If I could go back to older software with no security liability, I would do it in a heartbeat. But perhaps you are considered satisfied because you're running the latest version of the OS too. Maybe you are really in the one percent as well...

No comments: