Monday, July 21, 2008

Another Great Book -- Meatball Sundae by Seth Godin

I picked up a copy of Seth Godin's Meatball Sundae: Is Your Marketing Out of Sync? a couple of weeks ago and I've started working my way through it. Let me start by saying that this book is an excellent roll-up that helps translate many converging factors and explain the strategic vision for where these trends are driving marketing practices. It seems like I have been trying to explain these same concepts to some more traditional audiences for a couple of years now -- and this book effectively summarizes those points.

When I first saw the description and quotes on Brand Autopsy, I was fairly impressed with the overall messages. On several occassions, I've tried to explain these concepts to different people, but often in trying to explain these concepts -- particularly across international audiences -- I've found the "meatball sundae" concept to be the biggest obstacle in trying to connect with the audience. But don't let that stop you from picking up this book -- it really does tie a number of these important concepts together.

Consider this simple difference between old marketing and new marketing in terms of advertising. Google adwords versus a television commercial (or advertising in the movie theater, a pop-up window on a web site, or a host of other "interrupting" advertising techniques). When you search for something on Google, Adwords presents a host of "related" sponsored links. The links are keyed to the term that you searched, and Google's program rejects terms that don't respond well and are appear to be not well-matched. Contrast this with the interruption, the advertising message that isn't in context, that you didn't ask for. When you get these in email, their simply termed Spam.

Anyway, it's a great book, an easy read, and I recommend that you check it out!

No comments: