Saturday, April 12, 2008

Kicking It Off

I didn't start out in marketing. I didn't start out with the idea of going into the business world. In fact, after seeing some of my friends join the business world, I was pretty sure that I didn't want to go there.

I worked in rock and roll. I was a writer. Not only was I not like the world of the business suit, the whole idea of having to bend to that culture was abhorrent to me -- and to many of friends; the artists, the writers, the musicians, the dancers -- the creative people.

So what happened?

In some ways, marketing is a disease. It builds and shifts and changes over time. It infects your thoughts. It changes the language you use. Marketing infects art and creativity. It changes the focus from me to them.

Marketing is all about those questions that come up -- even as I write this -- the questions that ask should I be writing this, what will my prospective audience think, what is the purpose of this post, or is this good or bad based not on some inherent quality, but instead on how well it achieves it's desired results.

Fortunately, this is about Marketing to Me.

No comments: